The Times, they are a-changin’.
Avid readers and lifelong learners can sail away together with New York Times star columnists and reporters on the first cruise of its kind: twelve nights in the eastern Mediterranean aboard the Holland America Line’s Nieuw Amsterdam, October 5-17, 2012.
Beef up that brain! Escalate that IQ! Times journalists will engage participants in conversation, discussions and thought-provoking analysis of current events, film, science, music and technology. This innovative cruise provides an intimate setting where guests can absorb and explore various perspectives on relevant issues, events and pursuits in the buoyant atmosphere of ideas at sea.
Visit some of the most enchanting and culturally rich destinations in that part of the world: Venice, Montenegro, Greece, Turkey and Croatia.
Anchors Away! Sample Seminars:
- JOE NOCERA: The State of the Economy – Can the Euro Survive? – How to Fix College Sports – Throw Things at Joe Nocera
- WILLIAM PAYNE: Creating a New Play – Global Change – Critiquing Election Drama – Ancient Greek Theater
- WILLIAM C. RHODEN: Gender and Sports – Intercollegiate Athletics - The $40 Million Slave: Race and Power in Sports
- DAN SCHNUR: The West Wing Comes To Life – Dissecting The Electorate by Demography – Advances in Communications Technology Both Empower and Polarize
- A. O. SCOTT: Why Criticism (Still) Matters – Red, White and Blue Carpet Night - World Cinema in the 21st Century – Pedro Almodovar’s Melodramatic Imagination
- BARBARA STRAUCH: Talents of the Middle-Aged Brain – Reporting Science in a Changing World
Even more interesting, the October cruise has two price components: the cruise cost and the conference fee. Cruise costs range from $1,799 to $6,099 pp (plus taxes). For “Good-Time-Charlies” and the mentally exhausted, or those who do not want to cruise and shmooze, save the conference fee of $1,575, which includes about 30 hours of programming and two cocktail receptions, and lollygag ashore in the seductive ports of the eastern Med.
For the full scoop on the itinerary, the ship, pre- and post- tours and programs, please click here.