Hankerin’ to hang out in a ghost town this winter? Someplace anti-cell, blanketed in snowy silence yet not wanting for stuff to do? Dunton Hot Springs resort is a rustique-luxe gem of a restored ghost town near Telluride, set in south western Colorado‘s extraordinary San Juan Mountains. The town’s original 19th-century log cabins have been transformed into 12 romantic and luxurious lodgings and its spa is fed by natural mineral hot springs. The old saloon is today an excellent restaurant serving family-style dinners at generous communal tables (perfect dining format for solo travelers). Their own award-winning Sutcliffe Vineyards wines are paired and poured.
Dunton’s wide variety of Winter Adventures is tailored for guests and guided by renowned outdoorswoman and mountaineer BoJo Post. Choose from:
- Ice Climbing -unique in the San Juan Mountains and on-site at Dunton’s own waterfall using ice axes, crampons, helmets and harnesses.
- Dog Sledding – not only a chance to be whisked through the alpine forest by a powerful dog team but a possible opportunity to act as musher too!
- Hot Springs Soaking in the source of the hot spring where the water is hottest, in the renovated original bathhouse, or one of the outdoor pools.
- Heli-skiing – helicopter drop-off at 10,000 to 14,000 feet, some of the highest elevations in North America, for up to six runs daily.
- Snowmobiling on groomed trails for beginners or aggressive backcountry trips for experienced riders. Backcountry Skiing, Snowboarding and Snowshoeing to Colorado’s only active geyser and various jaw-dropping viewing points. Cross-country skiing, of course too.
- And on the Sand Canyon Hike and Winter Tour, BoJo leads into Colorado’s desert terrain for a full-day hike to the sculpted monoliths of the “Canyons of the Ancients.” Includes a perfect pit stop: a special lunch and a vineyard tour and tasting at Sutcliffe Winery, conveniently located just minutes from the Sand Canyon trail head.
Happily Dunton Hot Springs can be reached from four nearby airports. Click and be amazed: www.duntonhotsprings.com and/or call 877-228-4674.